The Considines in 1951


Considine, O'Considine or Mac Consaidin are native to Clare and Limerick where the name is a common one. They are descended from a great grand nephew of Brian Boru named Consaidin O'Brian who was bishop of Killaloe in the 11th century. Con = hound, saidh = gentle, in = little, hence, Consaidin means gentle little hound,

In 1929, the present stewards late father, also William Considine, then a sixteen year old town boy, emigrated from Ennis Co Clare to England and found work on a large farm in Braefield in Northamptonshire. He lived and worked there for 13 years and learned all about farming. In 1942 he got tenancy of a County Council smallholding dairy farm called Edgewick Farm in Woburn Sands in Buckinghamshire. As he was milking one day in 1946, a young nurse from Co Galway passed the cowshed and heard his Irish singing and stopped to chat. They "clicked" and married in 1948 and ran the farm together. They milked the cows, bottled the milk and delivered a milk round all the while dreaming of coming back to Ireland and having a farm here. In 1959 their dream came true when they found Nicharee Farm and came to settle here.

At first they did sheep tillage and drystock but when the Edelweiss Cheese factory in Wexford was looking for suppliers in 1960, they became supplier no 362 and founded a notable Freisian dairy herd. William senior died in 1976 and his wife Delia in 1986. From 1980 until 2010 Nicharee Farm was home to the Shellbridge Herd of pedigree Blonde d'Aquitaine show cattle which took prizes all over Ireland. In 2003 the first forestry plots were planted and in 2010 the Blondes were replaced by Aberdeen Angus and the farm converted to organic with the dream of producing quality and selling direct to customers like the earlier Edgewick Farm. Edgewick Farm has now been preserved as a community open farm. One of the fields is still called Considine's field and Woburn Sands Folk Festival is held there every July. See